Wednesday 31 August 2016

Insomnia 101



A lot of you know that I suffer with insomnia and recently it has flared up worse than ever. Although finally being able to sleep at around 5am is a new experience, its not one that I tend to enjoy. If something is bothering me then I'm not one to sit there and suffer, if there is something that I can do to help myself (especially if it's as important to me as sleep is...I love me some sleep) then I will give it a try. I've been doing some research lately for some things that I can do to make it better and after a quick Q&A on Twitter, you all told me that you wanted me to share what I found.




Tips and tricks


  1. Wake up at the same time every day- sticking to the same time to go to bed and the same wake up times (yes, that means even on weekends!) This helps to regulate your body's clock and could help you fall asleep and stay asleep for the night
  2. Limit naps- it may seem like because you're so damn tired that you really need that nap to catch up on your missed sleep. The thing is, the more you nap during the day, the more you are throwing your sleep pattern out of sorts.
  3. Exercise regularly- I don't know about you guys but when I've not been sleeping well, I feel even lower in energy than normal and I just don't really want to do anything. The lack of exercise (and this doesn't have to be a full on workout, it could be a walk or just doing your cleaning) actually makes me feel more tired.  Regular exercise can actually improve your sleep quality and even the duration of your sleep.
  4. Make your sleeping environment comfy- this might seem like a "duh" moment but some people don't actually realise that their beds are no longer very comfy. You've gotten so used to it that it's normal now. Think back to when you last replaced your mattress, pillows etc. Maybe it's time to buy new ones? Mattress toppers are a more cost effective way to help your mattress last a few more years too! Temperature, lighting and noise also have a large impact on your sleep cycles. Maybe try investing in black-out curtains, or if you have an animal that sleeps in your room and they make noise at night then consider having them sleep somewhere else .
  5. Keep a journal- more often than not, the reason that I cannot sleep is because it seems as though "your brain wont switch off". I've been trying to keep a journal so that I can get all of my thoughts out of my mind and then hopefully settle my mind in to a more relaxed state. 
  6. DONT keep looking at the clock. It's something I'm super guilty of and there's nothing that angers/frustrates me more than wanting to sleep and seeing how late/early it is and I haven't even slept yet. Looking at the clock only reinforces the idea that you'll "never" get to sleep. Added to that, you always mentally calculate how much sleep you are going to be able to get "if I go to sleep right now" which is in no way relaxing your mind,
  7. Keep off your electronics- I'm guilty of doing this too; whenever I cant sleep I either grab my books and read, toss and turn whilst getting frustrated with myself or grab my phone. The light from your electronics is stimulating for your brain because it tricks it into thinking that it's becoming light outside (and therefore your brain thinks its time to be awake- which is why we naturally wake up when its bright and sunny in your room). It does this because the light disrupts the production of Melatonin; a hormone that regulates sleep, in your brain.


Most importantly- Don't force yourself to sleep if you can't! Lying there and worrying over not being able to sleep only makes you feel more anxious. Leave the bedroom and go and do something relaxing until you're tired enough to sleep. Organisation, Mind suggests;


If you still struggle to go to sleep, you may find you need a more structured relaxation routine. There are several things you can try:

  • Breathing exercises – in a comfortable position, breathe in deeply, then breathe out slowly – making your out-breath longer than your in-breath. Repeat until you feel relaxed.
  • Muscle relaxation – consciously tense and relax your muscles, one after the other, starting with your toes and working up your body until you reach the top of your head.
  • Visualisation – picture a scene or landscape that has pleasant memories for you.
  • Meditation – you can learn meditation techniques at a class or by using self-help materials. Many people also find learning mindfulness techniques helpful. 
If your sleeping problems persist then please think about going to see your local GP.
Good luck

Love, 
Louise x
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig