Wednesday 13 August 2014

I tell the world!

Okay guys, so I haven't been on here in a while but a lot of you know that recently I have been on NCS with the challenge over summer. I have had such an amazing time and met wonderful people that have really changed my life for the better. During week 2, we attended a speakers trust conference about public speaking. I was tasked, along with everyone else in my wave, to write a speech about something I am passionate about changing in the community. Because it it very close to my heart, naturally I chose mental health stigma. That  very day I had forgotten to take my medication and so my anxiety was a little high but the amazing bond and care that my team showed when I had to leave to go back to the flats and take it astonished me. It gave me the confidence to come clean to those 12 people about the fact that I suffer from multiple mental health illnesses.

It was a very risky thing for me to do and I'm so grateful that I came to a point where I was able to tell them, especially as we had only known each other a little over a week. It really makes me happy to be able to say that they accepted it completely. My mentor knew how close to my heart it was before others (because he already knew) and he helped me gain the confidence to tell everyone else. They still treated me the same as they did before and supported me completely.

Over the course of the day, my team had to choose 3 people to present their speech to over 60 people (aka my wave and some mentors) and surprise surprise, they voted for me to present mine. They were all very considerate of my feelings with the way that I may feel about presenting a speech that was very 'close to home'. Thankfully I found the courage to do just that! I said my speech to the wave and told them that I was ill and the affects that stigma had on me. It felt good to give a speech on mental health and make people more aware of the issues that follow it. I was met with a very positive response from everyone and was very happy about the outcome.

I'm also pleased to inform you that one of the other groups campaigns is based on depression and the stigma attached so there will be more details on that for you soon.

"never let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game"
Louise xoxo
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Designed by pipdig